For this assignment, you will need to read two recent articles (in the last 5 years) that report on a psychological finding that interests you. The first article can be found in a popular print or electronic media source such as a newspaper or magazine article (e.g., NY times, Cosmopolitan etc.; avoid sources that are actual research based outlets like Science direct. If you are unsure show me the article ahead of time). The second article must be from a peer-reviewed psychological journal that reports on empirical research (can be survey, correlation, experiment) and may not be a review study. If you are unsure how to find a peer-reviewed psychological journal, please see me or a staff member in the library. The two articles should be on the same topic.
For each article, provide the reference in APA style and then address the following questions:
- Why did you choose the topic and how does it relate to what you have learned so far as a psychology student?
- What are you being asked to believe or accept in each article?
- What type of research design does the author in the empirical study use?
- What evidence does each article present to support their belief or assertion?
- To what extent is the evidence presented in a manner such that you can scrutinize it and draw your own conclusions?
- Compare the style of writing in the two articles (tone, word choice, descriptive language).
- Which article is more detailed? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the more detailed article?