You return on holiday from college and stop by your aunt and uncle’s house to take your four-year-old cousin out for ice cream. You are surprised to find her with a cast on her foot and bruises on both her legs and arms in different healing phases. You know that she was a sickly child who was prone to illnesses and could be very demanding, but you are concerned that someone may be abusing her.
When you ask her what happened, she simply shrugs her shoulders and demands that you pick her up and carry her around. You ask your aunt and uncle what happened to her, and they indicate that she is a clumsy child and keeps falling down.
You ask your mother if anyone in the family has ever been tested for osteogenesis imperfecta and Von Willebrand’s disease, which would be a medical explanation for these injuries, or if your uncle uses alternative medicinal practices, such as cupping.
- In your essay, determine whether your aunt and uncle’s explanation or your own suspicions are valid. How would you investigate to assess these claims? If the former is founded (you must specify how you verified your aunt and uncle’s claims), then you should suggest a few ways to help your relatives with your cousin in order to reduce her injuries.
- If child abuse is substantiated (and you must specify how you made this analysis), then you must figure out what you should do to get your cousin assistance.
- Write a two- to three-page paper, not including the required title and reference pages.
- Support your analysis using and citing material from this week’s required readings.
- Format your paper according to APA guidelines.