Prior to engaging in this discussion, read Chapter 4: Cognition, Learning, and the Environment in your required e-book, review the article “Socially Situated Cognition in Perspective” and the Instructor Guidance, and view the video What Are Schemas? (Links to an external site.).
Cognition incorporates numerous variables that are suggested to affect how we learn. For this discussion please address the following theories that support this suggestion:
- Evaluate and discuss the applicability of Piaget’s theory of cognitive development. Why are developmental phases important to consider when addressing how we learn?
- How does effective schema development affect our ability to move knowledge (memories) from working memory to long-term memory?
- How do the differing types of schema (Table 4.2: Types of comprehension-associated schema in your required e-book) potentially play differing roles? Why might one type of schema be harder for a person to develop than another?
- How does the term reciprocal determinism further explain the dynamic of learning that is suggested to be affected by our environment? (social learning theory and social cognitive theory)
- Based on your previous answers, how do these sub-theories and frameworks affect your own learning success, past and future?