Background: In this module you will continue to explore different aspects of the culture that you selected in Module 1. In this module, as evidence of your progress, you will submit a paper addressing the constructs of Purnell’s model listed below. Subheadings should be used that address each of the papers requirements.
- Discuss the Family Roles & Organization construct of
Purnell’s model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the
sub-constructs listed below:
- Head of household
- Gender roles
- Goals & priorities
- Developmental tasks
- Roles of aged
- Extended family
- Social status
- Alternative lifestyles
- Discuss the Workforce Issues construct of Purnell’s model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
- Language barriers
- Discuss the Biocultural Ecology construct of Purnell’s model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs listed below:
- Biological variations
- Skin color
- Discuss the Pregnancy construct of Purnell’s model as it relates to your selected culture and address each of the sub-constructs list below:
- Fertility practices
- Views toward pregnancy
- Pregnancy beliefs
- Post-partum (including child rearing)
Note: In your write-up use section headings for each question and subheadings for each of the categories.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Use information from your module readings/articles as well as appropriate research to support your selection.
Length: The SLP assignment should be 5-8 pages long (double-spaced).
References: At least three references must be included from academic sources (peer-reviewed journal articles). Required Reading is included. Quoted materials should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. Materials copied verbatim from external sources must be enclosed in quotation marks. In-text citations are required as well as a list of references at the end of the assignment. (APA format is recommended.)
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Format: APA format is recommended for this assignment.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Achievement of learning outcomes for SLP assignment.
- Relevance – All content is connected to the question.
- Precision – Specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate.
- Depth of discussion – Points that lead to deeper issues are presented and integrated.
- Breadth – Multiple perspectives and references, and multiple issues/factors are considered.
- Evidence – Points are well supported with facts, statistics, and references.
- Logic – Discussion makes sense; conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information.
- Clarity – Writing is concise and easy to understand, and contains sufficient detail or examples.
- Objectivity – Avoids the use of first person and subjective bias.
“Drug Metabolism” was intentionally omitted from the sub-constructs of the “biocultural ecology” construct in this module’s assignment.