Background: This assignment will consist of two parts. The first will examine cultural competence models. These models, utilized in health science to approach the phenomenon of culture, can generally be grouped in two categories: internal provider factors and external provider factors. In this case, we will examine internal and external models used in cultural competence.
The second part of this assignment will explore the context for considering culture in health science practice. Now that one is familiar with some of the cultural competence models, how is usage situated within a practice setting?
Identify two cultural competence models in the peer-reviewed literature and provide a paragraph or two on each of the following items for each model:
- Discuss the focus of each model, internal to the health care provider or external to the health care provider, and summarize the main constructs of each model.
- Discuss any constructs you identify as missing from these models.
- Discuss how each model contributes to development of the health care provider.
Discuss the following, each within its own section and with appropriate section headings.
- The definition of patient-centered care and cultural competence.
- Compare and contrast patient-centered care to cultural competence.
- Benefits of patient-centered care.
- Drawbacks of patient-centered care.
- Possible ways to improve and implement patient-centered care in health care organizations .
Note: In your write-up use section headings for each question.
Use information from your module readings/articles as well as appropriate research to support your selection.
Length: The Case assignment should be 3-5 pages long (double-spaced).
References: At least three references must be included from academic sources (peer-reviewed journal articles). Required reading is included. Quoted materials should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. Materials copied verbatim from external sources must be enclosed in quotation marks. In-text citations are required as well as a list of references at the end of the assignment. (APA format is recommended.)
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Format: APA format is recommended for this assignment.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Achievement of learning outcomes for the Case Assignment.
- Relevance – All content is connected to the question.
- Precision – Specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate.
- Depth of discussion – Points that lead to deeper issues are presented and integrated.
- Breadth – Multiple perspectives and references, and multiple issues/factors are considered.
- Evidence – Points are well supported with facts, statistics, and references.
- Logic – Discussion makes sense; conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information.
- Clarity – Writing is concise and understandable, and contains sufficient detail or examples.
- Objectivity – Avoids the use of first person and subjective bias.