One of the most crucial skills to have as an effective leader is good communication. To develop greater leadership skills, one must personally develop.
Read the Personal Communication chapter in Developing Nonprofit and Human Service Leaders (Watson & Hoefer, 2014). The chapter discusses the importance of three fundamental topics:
- Active listening
- Management of emotions
- Delivering memorable messages
As you read this chapter, reflect on the following:
- How would you characterize your own active listening skills? What are some specific areas you wish to improve in when it comes to being an active listener?
- What areas of emotional management would you like to improve? How do you think this will help you as a leader?
- How might storytelling be beneficial to you in a leadership role? What are some ways you can improve your own delivery of important information to ensure comprehension?
- Of the three areas discussed, which do you feel is most valuable to a leader? Why?
Include your answer to each numbered question in a Word document. The focus for this assignment is on the quality of your answers, not how they are formatted.
Watson, L. D., & Hoefer, R. A. (2014). In C. Forrest (Ed.), Personal communication. Developing nonprofit and human service leaders: Essential knowledge and skills (pp. 53-50). Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, Inc.