The Supreme Court of the United States ruled by a 5 to 4 vote that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage. Write a short essay (no less than three pages) discussing your view of the Supreme Court decision. Use the readings for this week to help give your essay depth. Feel free to agree or disagree with the various thinkers included in the readings and videoclips.
- How does this decision change the discussion of gender or sexual diversity in our country?
- Is this decision the last we have seen of the marriage equality debate? Why or why not?
- What changed in the last few years within our society to make this decision possible?
- When we look back at this period in our history what will we think of this as a historic moment?
- Feel free to take a glance at the full decision: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_…
Your essay should be no less than three pages long, and must include three or more references. The references must be credible (no Wikipedia or random websites). Your sources must come from articles researched via the Leatherby library website and/or academic database.