“Rome’s Major Urban Structures” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Select one (1) of the following famous ancient Roman structures that you find most fascinating: Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Pantheon, insulae, or bath complexes. After exploring the related resource(s) below on Rome, describe one (1) structure that you found most fascinating. Identify two (2) specific aspects of the structure in question, and make a comparison to specific aspects of modern urban life.
Rome’s Major Urban Structures
- Chapter 6 (pp. 174-5, 185-187, 191-211), Roman architecture
- Colosseum images at http://www.the-colosseum.net/architecture/amphitheatrum-en.htm
- Circus Maximus images at http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/circus.html and http://romancolosseum.org/circus-maximus-in-rome/
- Circus Maximus article at http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/circusmaximus/circusmaximus.html
- Roman bath complexes at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/roman/day.html Click on the numbers for a stroll through the Baths of Caracalla
Template for Week 3 Discussion
Hello class and Dr. C, here is my main discussion post for Week 3 “Rome’s Major Urban Structures”
The Urban Structure I have chosen to discuss is: Well this part is easy, just tell me which structure you are going to look at, either: Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Pantheon, insulae (which were Roman apartment buildings), or bath complexes (feel free to insert a picture in the discussion as well of your topic that might be cool)
Why I think this structure is so interesting? Discuss a few things about your structure that you find fascinating. The Romans were amazing builders and each of these structures has some fascinating things about them to discuss.
What urban issue did this structure address? Each of these structures addressed urban issues that no other civilization had to deal with yet. The sheer size of the city of Rome created these urban problems and the Romans developed unique solutions. For example, if you discuss insulae you could address the fact that Rome had an expanding population and limited space. Most other civilizations just built outward as they expanded, but Rome, which would eventually be a city of over a million people simply did not have enough land to build out, so did they do? They built up!!! Created apartment style housing for the first time in history
How this structure has impacted modern buildings? This part should be easy; all of these building structures have left an impact on modern building styles and techniques. Again, if you’re assessing insulae, why do you think apartment buildings look the way they do, and are designed the way they are? Well, because that’s how the Romans did it and each of these urban structures created a model for how future civilizations would design urban structures