I selected book “White Like Her”
Select a book from the Ethnic Literature genre to help give you more insight into a different racial/ethnic/cultural group. Preferably the book would be written by a member of this group or an author who can provide insight into the viewpoint of the group. Write a 3-page review of the book adhering to the following guidelines:
- Identify the racial/ethnic/cultural group that is the focus of the book.
- Provide a brief summary of assumptions and stereotypes made about this ethnic group by others. Provide any historical reference to help clarify why this group may be oppressed.
- Discuss your personal reasons for selecting this particular group. Do you have any personal baggage associated with this group?
- Summarize the content of the book (synopsis).
- Summarize the cultural values presented in the book. Based upon your book, what values were particularly important? What similarities and differences did you notice?
- Briefly discuss personal awareness and insights reached. What connections and revelations did you make while reading the book?
- Provide your general impressions of the book. Would you recommend the book to others?
- Conclude with a brief discussion of implications for your future growth and development in cultural competence.