I’m stuck on a Management question and need an explanation.
Question ONE : This week, Ch. 10 focused on employee benefits and services. One area of the chapter specifically focused on domestic partner benefits. This is a unique topic for HR since not all states legally require employers to recognize domestic partnerships and offer those benefits.
That said, begin by researching to determine domestic partnership benefit laws for your state. Please clearly describe the laws currently in place pertaining to domestic partner benefits.
Once you’ve determined the laws for your state, answer the following questions based on the scenario of you being the HR manager for a company beginning to implement domestic partner benefits:
- The company must provide a definition for domestic partnerships in the employee handbook. How would you define domestic partnership?
- What will qualify employees to receive domestic partner benefits?
- What benefits would the company be willing to provide for domestic partners?
- Your original post should be at least 5 sentences at the very least. Considering the content of this discussion, I’m expecting at least 2-3 full paragraphs.
You are the HR Director of a seasonal ski resort in Vail, Colorado. One of the hourly kitchen employees approaches you and says that he was told by the kitchen manager that he could not receive company benefits because he works part-time hours; however, he informs you that he was hired during the off-season as a full-time employee, and has been working 25 hours per week because currently he is not needed for any additional hours. At the same time, he claims that one of the front desk staff told him that they were hired as a part-time employee, but receives benefits because they have been working 40 hours per week for the past year.
1. What would you do to resolve this situation? Please be very detailed in your response and give the steps that you would follow to rectify the situation. (25 points)
2. What criteria must be met for employees to receive benefits? Would there be any reason for an employee to potentially be disqualified from receiving employee benefits? (15 points, 7.5 points for each portion of the question)
- Please write your response as a Word document with basic APA formatting present (headers, page numbers, font, spacing, and in-text citations with reference list). Upload the completed document for grading.
- Your responses should not be framed as “I believe, I feel, I think…” You are expected to use at least two to three outside resources to develop and support your answers.
- Answer questions in a numbered list so I’m not left to guess which questions you’ve answered.
- There is not a minimum length for your responses but make sure you are properly responding to each question asked fo you.
- Each question is worth the point value in parentheses and the final 10 points will for APA formatting and use of outside resources to strengthen your responses.