Choose a topic from the list below (or choose a topic of your own) to use as the foundation for this assignment. Use the Capella library and Internet to locate academic and professional articles on the topic. Use a minimum of three (at least one academic and one professional) recent (within the last 5 years) articles as resources for this assignment.
- The effect of maternal stress on prenatal development.
- Prenatal exposure to drugs and the effects on brain development.
- Environmental influences on prenatal development. Please select only one:
- Outside environmental hazards.
- Medications (legal and illegal).
- Alcohol and tobacco.
- The effect of maternal post-partum depression on newborn infant development.
- The effects of premature birth on the developing infant.
For this assignment:
- Describe the problem as it exists today in the United States. Be sure to include any statistics on frequency, geographic distribution, cultural distribution, and so on.
- Explain how the problem affects the developing infant.
- Explain how the research findings have influenced both social thinking and social policies with regard to the problem.
- Offer one intervention you would recommend if a client came to you with the selected problem.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message and is consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Resources: Minimum of three scholarly or professional resources. Please note that popular resources such as Wikipedia or About.com are not considered to be appropriate.
- Length: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages not including title page and reference page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point font.