Rather than having essay questions for the quizzes, you will answer essay questions (of your choosing) at home and submit them for grading through a link on TITANium, and checked for plagiarism via turnitin.com. You will answer question A and then choose two additional questions to answer for a total of three essay questions answered. In paragraph format, answer the questions directly, clearly, and completely. You will answer all of the questions on a single document, with each answer not exceeding two single-spaced pages worth of typed text. Do not use bullet points. Put the number of the question you are answering at the start of each essay. Answers that do not address the question directly will not favorably contribute towards your examination grade. All questions are worth 5 points for a total of 15 percent of your grade.
Answer this question:
- The entire textbook on California discusses the similarities and differences between the US national government and the government of the State of California. If you had to choose one major change to the US system that was adapted from a power or structure that California has, what would it be? Write an essay discussing how the US would be different if it had that power or structure.
Choose two of the following:
- One of the fights during the constitutional convention was how to distribute power between federal and state governments. In your mind, which has the most power? Write an essay that supports your opinion and articulates why those powers are more powerful than the powers of the other level of government.
- If people in the United States want to influence government and its policies, they can use interest groups and political parties to achieve their goals. What is the difference between political parties and interest groups? How do they achieve their goals? How do they recruit and retain members? Which is more powerful? Justify your answer.
- President Trump is learning a lot about the powers of the President. Most people assume that the President can do whatever they want. However, he has been stopped a couple of times from doing what he wanted. What are the checks on presidential power? In your opinion, which branch of government exercises the biggest check on presidential power?
- The two main political ideologies in the United States are liberalism and conservatism. Choose someone in your family or circle of friends and make an informed judgment whether they are liberal or conservative. Write an essay that justifies why you think they are liberal or conservative. What things do they believe about the role of government in domestic or foreign issues that lines up with that specific ideology?
- Why is it so difficult to make a law? Write an essay describing how a bill becomes a law that includes which part is the most difficult to overcome (in your opinion).