Consider the table below for the supply and demand for oil in the United States. Supply and Demand for Oil â…
Consider the table below for the supply and demand for oil in the United States.
Supply and Demand for Oil – U.S.
$ Per Millions of Bls Per Day
Barrel D _ S_
95 25 15
96 24 16
97 23 17
98 22 18
99 21 19
100 20 20
101 19 21
102 18 22
103 17 23
104 16 24
105 15 25
1. On the grid below, create an X Y graph using the table above, and plot D and S.
(Use EXCEL to plot the graph on a separate sheet if possible, but not required. Use titles on
the graph, axes, and curves.).
2. Define the law of demand, the law of supply, and equilibrium in one sentence each.
3. If the price of oil is $97 per barrel, is this above or below equilibrium, and is there a surplus or shortage in the market? How much is the surplus or shortage? Explain in one or two sentences.
4. From your graph, explain how a change in the QUANTITY DEMANDED could occur and give an example.
5. On your graph, draw what would happen if a small DECREASE in the SUPPLY of oil occurred with a larger INCREASE in the DEMAND for oil. Explain here the position of the new supply and demand curves, and the new equilibrium of price and QD/QS compared to the old one.