These are 2 separate assignments! Please keep them separate. They are labeled as projects but it is just answering the questions to go to the chart. Please if you have any questions ask.
assignment 1 –
In this activity, you will answer questions on a fictional scenario involving mtDNA, which will evaluate your understanding of how mtDNA and X-DNA is transmitted through a family tree.
As shown in the abbreviated and condensed descendant chart, George and Mary (Smith) Simmons had three daughters. According to your research, George and Mary are your ancestors, and you would like to learn more about their DNA. You have identified a living descendant (shown by the dotted box) of each of the three daughters of George and Mary who is willing to take any DNA test you request.
Based on your understanding of mtDNA and the descendant chart, answer the following questions:
- If you only wanted to learn about Mary Smith’s mtDNA, which—if any—of the three living descendants could you ask to take an mtDNA test?
- If you only wanted to learn about Mary Smith’s mtDNA, which of the three living descendants would be unable to take an mtDNA test for that purpose?
- For the individual(s) identified in response to question #2, why would he or she be unable to take an mtDNA test to learn about Mary Smith’s mtDNA?
- If all of the three living descendants take an mtDNA test, could their results be identical? Why or why not?
Based on your understanding of X-DNA and the pedigree chart, answer the following questions:
- Could Corrine Bentley be the source of the segment of X-DNA that MaryEllen shares with Georgia? Why or why not?
- Assume that the shared surname is “LEWIS,” and that Georgia has an ancestor named Charles Lewis. Could MaryEllen’s ancestor Polly Lewis be the source of the segment of X-DNA that MaryEllen shares with Georgia? Why or why not?
- Of the 16 great-great-grandparents shown in the pedigree chart, how many could have contributed X-DNA to Maryellen?
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Code "Newclient"
If this is not the paper you were searching for, you can order your 100% plagiarism free, professional written paper now!Order Now Just Browsing
All of our assignments are originally produced, unique, and free of plagiarism.Free Revisions Plagiarism Free 24x7 Support