For a counselor working with couples and families to be effective, understanding the current identities of couples and families is vital. Additionally, identifying one’s own perceptions and personal filters regarding healthy and unhealthy functioning of couples and families—and how these perceptions may create obstacles in counseling—is crucial to keeping a couple’s or family’s best interests in mind.
In this Application, you will consider definitions of family, reflect on your own family experiences, and identify any personal filters that may present obstacles to working with couples and families today. You also will consider how you might address these obstacles in practice.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Reflect on the definitions of family that are discussed.
- Consider the information about personal filters and biases and assessing one’s own family experiences.
- Review the DVD segment “Introduction to Couples and Family Counseling,” with Drs. Pete and Linda Palmo. Reflect on the differences between traditional and current definitions of family.
- Think about your own perception of the roles and identities of couples and families today.
- Consider any personal filters that may present obstacles or challenges to working with couples and families today as well as how these challenges might be addressed.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Describe the similarities and differences between traditional and current definitions of couples and families.
- Identify two to three personal filters that might lead to obstacles or challenges in your work with couples and families and describe briefly how each might affect your work.
- Explain how to address the potential obstacles or challenges, derived from your personal filters, to working with couples and families.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.
Link for dvd segment: https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/blackboard/conte…
Use the textbook as well: Chapters 1,2 & 10