Watch one of the following movies:
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
Peaceful Warrior (2006)
Rain Man (1988)
Girl Interrupted (1999)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
If you would like to use a different movie, you MUST get permission from your instructor first.
Answer the following questions academically, then choose one main character in the selected movie and give an example which illustrates the concepts,:
- Define cognition and provide a description of the cognitive processes.
- What is the relationship between cognition and personality development?
- Explain how biological and environmental factors can shape our cognitive processes.
- How do parents influence a child’s personality according to each theory: evolutionary, biological/genetic, and behavioral?
- How does self-efficacy relate to personality?
- What “nature” and “nurture” factors contribute to one’s self-efficacy? Make sure you are using the reading materials as one of your resources as well as an additional three scholarly resources. Apply APA formatting and citations. The total amount of pages should be at least 6 pages.
Read Chapters 6 and 7 in your text.
Chapter 6: “Behaviorists and Learning Aspects of Personality” will discuss how the classical conditioning, operant conditioning, and social learning theories and how they impact the development of personality.
In Chapter 7: “Cognitive and Social-Cognitive Aspects of Personality” you will learn about Bandura, Kelly, and Rotter’s theories of personality.
Athealth.com (n.d.). Parenting Styles and Its Correlates. Retrieved from http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/ceduc/parentingstyles.html
Iannelli, V. (2004, Dec 13). Parenting Styles. Retrieved from http://pediatrics.about.com/od/infantparentingtips/a/04_pntg_styles.htm
Cherry, K. (n.d.). Parenting Styles: The Four Styles of Parenting. Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/developmentalpsychology/a/parenting-style.htm
BullingNewsVideos. (2008, Sep 13). Classical Conditioning: Ivan Pavlov. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqumfpxuzI
jenningh. (2007, Mar 20). Operant condition. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ctJqjlrHA&feature=related
lewisgriffin. (2009, Mar 8). Bandura original footage. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWsxfoJEwQQ&feature=related