Book: Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot (use any online sources and no need to cite them!)
– Please answer questions regarding your choice for the 1st 8 Week Book.
– Answer any three questions from the list for your book.
Questions for Heart Berries
- Does the process of writing her memoir generate for Mailhot a burgeoning sense of redemption? Does her story follow the typical arc from suffering to happiness or not.
- In a Q&A with Joan Naviyuk Kane, Mailhot insists that she doesn’t “feel liberated from the governing presence of tragedy.… [W]e are not liberated from injustice; we’re anchored to it.” What does she mean? Can anything reverse or correct the injustices done to indigenous people?
- Think about what we have learned about ethos so far. What strategies does Mailhot employ to make her reader trust what she is saying is true? What makes Mailhot a credible narrator?
- Think about what we have learned about pathos so far. What strategies does Mailhot employ to make her readers feel a certain emotion in her work?