Write a 5–6-page article on a controversial topic related to pharmacology. Explain appropriate use of pharmacology; the relationship between quality patient outcomes, patient safety, and the use of pharmacology; and how the topic affects communities and organizations. Describe inequities regarding access to pharmacological treatments.
In your professional nursing practice, you will likely encounter both patients and coworkers whose personal or cultural views on pharmacology may be quite different from your own. Understanding the most current research on pharmacological topics will help you make informed choices.
For this assessment, imagine your supervisor asks you to write an article on a controversial topic for the organization’s monthly newsletter in which you review the most recent research on the topic. She stresses you must present a balanced overview and equally address the pros and cons of the topic.
Complete the following as you prepare to write your article:
- Choose a topic from the list below:
- The use of medical marijuana.
- The use of complementary and alternative medicines (CAM) versus traditional Western medicine.
- Experimental drug programs and disease management.
- Mandated vaccinations for children and the implications for parental choice not to vaccinate.
- Search the Capella library and the Internet to locate peer-reviewed research articles on your selected topic. The information you use to support your work in this assessment must be as recent as possible.
Note: These are very broad topics. Limit your work to the scope of your practice and be mindful of the page-length requirements.
Once you have identified your topic, organize your article as you wish. Be sure to include the following:
- Explain the appropriate use of the pharmacology related to the topic. Include elements such as diseases or health concerns associated with the topic and the efficacy and applicability of the pharmacology.
- Explain the relationship between quality patient outcomes, patient safety, and use of the pharmacology related to the topic. Remember to address both the benefits and limitations of the pharmacology in terms of specific diseases and populations.
- Explain how the topic affects both the community and the organization in terms of promoting health and wellness.
- Describe any inequities regarding access to the pharmacology related to the topic. Is access limited to specific groups or populations? Who determines access? On what is it based? Does access influence choice?
Follow APA guidelines to format this assessment. Include a title page and reference page.
- Number of pages: 5–6 (no more than 7).
- At least 4 current scholarly or professional resources.