Why do you believe organizations invest in training and career development programs for employees? How does the organization benefit? How can training and development support an organization’s strategic goals? Why should HRMs focus on the career development of employees? Use the articles and resources provided to support your ideas.
Chapter 8: Training and Development,The training and development aspect of HRM is likely one of the most important aspects of HRM. After you have gone through the time and effort to recruit, select, and compensate the employee, you will need to ensure career growth through continuing training, which is the focus of Chapter 8 “Training and Development”.
Chapter 10, “Employee Assessment” focuses on how to assess performance of the employee. We address performance evaluation systems and methods.
READINGS BEYOND THE TEXT
Training and Career Development (see content)
- Liraz (nd) BizMove Business Guides: “Employee Training and Development” (HTML) Retrieved from: http://www.bizmove.com/personnel/m4d.htm (General discussion about training and development)
- Heathfield (2016) “Tips to Make Training and Development Work” (HTML) http://humanresources.about.com/od/trainingtransfer/a/training_work.htm (General article on how to make training work)
- Springer (2011) Academic Earth: “Protecting Human Capital” (YouTube) Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-fgNdk99Vw (Short video regarding making best use of employees)
- The Importance of KSAs (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)” (2009) Retrieved from http://www.va.gov/JOBS/hiring/apply/ksa.asp
- Juneja (nd). Career Development Overview
- Juneja (nd). Benefits of a Career Development System
- Conway (nd). Creating an Employee Career Development Plan
- Heathfield (2018). Steps to Create a Career Development Plan
- Heathfield (2018). 5 Tips to Improve your Career Development