Read Chapters 1, 2, and 12 in your textbook Cultural Diversity: A Primer for the Human Services.
Your original response to the Discussion topic should be at least 350 words and should reflect the fact that you have completed the assigned readings and activities. Use your words wisely so that the posting has substance and includes examples and explanations. The best practice is to include citations and a reference list.
Take time to review the responses of your classmates and respond specifically and substantially to at least two other students’ postings.
Table 2-1 in your textbook indicates the shift towards a much more culturally diverse population will occur by the year 2050 (Diller, 2015). Also mentioned is that by 2030, a majority of the workforce and public school students will be Persons of Color (Diller, 2015).
With the changes in demographics, Human Services Professionals will be faced with the challenge of meeting the needs of culturally diverse clients. For the discussion, consider the impact of cultural competency.
In becoming culturally competent, the Human Services Professionals should first carefully assess the client’s demographic and cultural situation. Using the internet and the Library, research and expand on the critical information deemed necessary in determining the needs of a culturally diverse client .
- What is your understanding about how the pursuit of cultural competence changed in the helping professions? What do you think are some of the underlying reasons for these changes?
- In Chapter 2 on page 21, Cross et al. (1989) presents five Individual Competence Skill Areas. In which skill areas do you feel most confident and come most naturally?
- Which areas may require substantial growth as you develop your cultural competence?
- What resources or experience might you seek out to develop these skills?
- What are the most appropriate sources of cultural information you feel is needed when working with Native American communities?
- In what ways can this information help you assess and build rapport with Native American clients?