Start by reading and following these instructions:
- Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
- Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
- Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
- Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
PART I: Video Response: Practicing Listening Skills
This week you willpractice good listening skills and reflect on the value of active listening.
Select and listen to one of the speeches on the American Rhetoric website (www.americanrhetoric.com/top100speechesall.html). As you listen to the speech, notice the speaker’s main point and the nonverbal cues that provide insight into the message.
Reflecting on this speech, create a video response that addresses the following questions:
- What speech did you watch?
- What was the main point of the speech?
- What nonverbal cues did the speaker use to convey his/her message?
- What listening challenges did you experience while listening to the speech?
- What kinds of activities distracted you and/or affected your ability to listen?
- Are there any tasks you feel you can do without affecting your listening?