Read the following case study to inform the assignment that follows.
Case Study: Sloane
Sloane is a female third grade student with a specific learning disability in written expression. She is originally from Mexico and moved to the U.S. with her mother, father, older sister, and newborn brother when she was 14 months old. In first grade she was assessed for special education services and was found eligible in the area of written expression.
Recently, her mother and father separated. Her mom has since moved the children out of their home and in with family friends. The family friends have three children and two adults living in the home already, so thethree-bedroom, one-bath home is very crowded. Their new home is within walking distance of Rosewood Elementary, where Sloane has recently transferred.
Sloane’s mother has a job in which she works long hours and is currently struggling to establish her own line of credit. At home, Sloane’s family speaks both English and Spanish. Sloane’s mother considers English her primary language; however, Spanish is her first language and she sometimes has difficulty understanding written English despite speaking it well.
At a recent parent-teacher conference, Sloane’s mother opened up about the recent separation and stated there was an order of protection against her husband. Because the order of protection extends to the children, Mr. Fleming, one of Sloane’s teachers, notified the office and provided documentation in the event that Sloane’s father should come to theschool. While providing this documentation, office staff and other teachers pressed Mr. Fleming to divulge the details of why the order of protection was issued.
In 100-250 word responses for each of the following five bullets, evaluate and answer the following questions:
- What are three ways in which cultural, language, and family background influence Sloane’s learning?
- How will knowledge of Sloane’s home environment assist her teachers in providing educational services and support?
- What are three steps a teacher could take with Sloane and her mother to build a collaborative relationship that takes into account their unique circumstances?
- What are three strategies that a teacher could use to encourage Sloane’s mother to actively participate in Sloane’s education process?
- How would you respond to the office staff and teachers wanting information regarding the order of protection, referencing the CEC Code of Ethics or other appropriate professional dispositions of learners?
Support your responses with a minimum of three scholarly resources.
Write a 250-500 word rationale that:
- Analyzes the ethical principles you used to respond to the above questions, and how those principles align to a Christian worldview.
- Provides specific examples of how your proposed actions support the common good in the educational setting, and explains how these examples can be considered applications of the Christian worldview.