In this assignment, you will choose one specific disorder (e.g., generalized anxiety disorder [GAD], binge-eating disorder, or conduct disorder) and research evidence-based treatment that has been shown to be effective (e.g., solution-focused, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral therapy [CBT], or experiential) for the chosen disorder. Post your choice to the Discussion Area.
You will write a research paper that addresses the following content areas:
- Introduction: Introduce the disorder and your reasons for choosing this particular disorder.
- Overview of the Disorder: Provide a discussion of the diagnostic criteria, prevalence, incidence, and etiology of the disorder. Include information about the genetic, biological, environmental, trauma, and/or psychological factors that cause or contribute to the development of the disorder in individuals. Discuss impairments associated with persons diagnosed with this condition.
- Effective Treatment Approaches: On the basis of current research, discuss the best treatment options or interventions for treating this disorder. Outcome literature must be reviewed for this component.
- Social and Cultural Implications: Describe relevant social and cultural implications related to the disorder, including age, gender, race, socioeconomic status, and sexual orientation.
- Assessment of Treatment Approach: Discuss your overall assessment of the treatment approach or approaches (e.g., the value, limitations, and significance). You must discuss the effect of culture on treatment.
- Conclusion: Provide a summary of your findings.
Your final product should be a 7- to 8-page paper written in APA format. Utilize a minimum of six scholarly sources. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Demonstrate ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources and display accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation, and references.
- Only minimal direct quotes are allowed for this assignment, and only primary citations are accepted. This means you must directly read the article instead of referencing it with “as cited in” another article and you are not to simply copy the DSMdiagnostic criteria. This assignment requires you to synthesize the information you learn from the research and the DSM.
- The DSM and a minimum of four peer-reviewed journal articles must be cited in the paper, with the total number of references not less than six. Only scholarly references will be accepted.
- The research paper must follow APA (6th edition) format (e.g., margins, page numbers and headers, an abstract, text and final references, 12-point Times New Roman font, double spacing, and unbiased language).