You have just been hired by a new history magazine. It is your job to nominate three (3) persons who best reflect characteristics of the “long” twentieth century in American history. Each person must be from a different era, as follows: one each from 1877-1920, 1921-1945, and 1945 to the present. The person can be famous, or lesser known, or even a representation (e.g., the American soldier, etc.). Explain why each person is important and what he or she represents about American history and American identity. You could choose to unite your three persons by theme (e.g., civil rights activists) or you could choose three individuals who represent three different themes or characteristics in American history.
Your essay should consider the following questions:
- What did each person do that was important or influential and how did he or she help change the nation?
- How did that person interact with the wider world?
- What obstacles did he or she have to overcome?
- How did your persons handle or manage the contrasts and contradictions they faced?
- Did they leave any problems unsolved?
The paper is due at the end of week 8 and must adhere to the following requirements:
- Must contain a clear thesis statement, or claim, that is supported by the evidence you present
- Adhere to CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements
- Must be double-spaced in 12-point Times New Roman type
- Include 7- to 8-pages in length (not including cover and reference pages; approximately 3,000-3,500 words)
- Include headings, per APA guidelines
- Your discussion of each person should incorporate two primary sources (for a total of six primary sources). In addition to these, the entire written Portfolio should include four additional academic sources for a grand total of ten sources.
- Sources should be adequately chosen to provide substance and perspectives on the issue.
Create a visual presentation that illustrates your portrayal of the “long” twentieth century and the struggles and triumphs of the three individuals you chose to discuss.
The presentation is due at the end of Week 8 and must adhere to the following requirements:
- Should illustrate the significance of the people and their impact on history
- Include a final reference page with sources used
- Include at least nine slides (three for each person) not including title or reference slides, include a minimum of four outside sources
- Use the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements
- Within the context of each person, your slide show should offer at least two different types of media.
- Each image should include a caption, source, and text or an audio track describing the image.